GIMP GUI Redesign
The WIKI will contain the user interaction research results, and specifications coming out of our decisions. Contact the GIMP developers on IRC (the users "ankh" and "Jehan" are known to have an admin account) to get a login for the wiki.
Everybody is welcome to discuss features and improvements with us.
We thank these previous team members for their valuable contributions:
- peter sikking, principal interaction architect, m+mi works—blog, on GIMP
- Kamila Giedrojć, associate interaction architect —portfolio
- Ellen Reitmayr, usability consultant —website
- Kate Price, interaction architect
- Tobias Ehni, usability consultant
- Dominique Schmidt, associate interaction architect
- Marinus Schraal, associate interaction architect
Ultimately, every decision taken by our UI team is about realising the product vision. At the LGM 2006, peter sikking held a workshop with the GIMP team, and helped them to formulated their product vision:
- GIMP is Free Software;
- GIMP is a high-end photo manipulation application and supports creating original art from images;
- GIMP is a high-end application for producing icons, graphical elements of web pages and art for user interface elements;
- GIMP is a platform for programming cutting-edge image processing algorithms, by scientists and artists;
- GIMP is user-configurable to automate repetitive tasks;
- GIMP is easily user-extendable, by ‘one-click’ installation of plug-ins.
Want to go deeper? Read the vision briefing.
To design something, you need to know everything it is suppose to do. At the beginning of this project a short, sharp functionality overview was made, based on version 2.3.11 (extra kudos to Kamila for all that work).
These User Scenarios are used in the GIMP redesign project. They are the result of workplace observations and a weekend workshop with the GIMP team.
We spent a month and a half evaluating GIMP. Enjoy reading the raw Expert Evaluation Notes.
Our analysis its the result all of our work on GIMP up to now, and shows the way forward for each aspect of GIMP UI, in the form of solution models.
Tobi's work in progress to further improve the usability of GIMP.
Notes, tables, sketches showing work in progress towards detailed specification.
We are working on an interaction design patch format.
Solution models get further developed into UI specifications, ready for implementation.
A (growing) guide for those who design interaction for GIMP, concentrating on how solutions can be fitted into the overall interaction framework, constraints and how things interconnect.